Monday 26 September 2011

Act of Random Kindness


There are numerous times in every person’s life when a friend, dear or distant, does something out of the blue- a call or a text message, a small note in your bag... that just lifts your heart. That small act of kindness leaves an imprint much stronger than anyone anticipates, a memory among memories, which keeps the bond of friendship ever so fresh and strong. But imagine yourself in a situation where you are struggling (and I mean big time), struggling to hold focus, to motivate yourself, to put yourself back together. You choose to keep these facts hidden from the people dear to you, afraid... that it might evoke needless sympathy and worries, which in turn will hurt you more. Then you realise, that the people closest to you are stuck in their own lives...  entangled in the fine and sticky webs they spun around themselves. Who, or what then, do you look forward to?

I was walking back from college at 8:30 P.M on a Wednesday night, another tiring 12 hour workday which started at 8 in the morning. A gruelling 2 hour football game had been preceded by 6 hours of work, without the help of breakfast or lunch to fuel the body which was by now, violently complaining for food. To make matters worse, it had started raining... and just this morning, fooled by a harsh sunny day I had removed my raincoat from my bag. Bravo Shamir... Bravo.
So here I was, literally dragging my feet in the rain, head bowed with the tiring routine when I heard a voice say “You need a lift son?”

I looked up, and saw an old man on a run-down moped from the early 1800’s I think... The kind of gift I expected from my sister for my birthday. I smiled, (very very appreciatively) and said “No thank you sir, I just have to walk about 600 metres to the bus stop. Please do carry on, thank you so much.” (I think the look of disgust on my face when I said 600 metres said it all).

But he shook his head and gave a patronising nod. “You won’t get too far in the rain in shorts and a torn football jersey. Hop on, I’ll be passing the bus stop on my way home.”
I looked at my right sleeve and true as he said, there was a big hole. The cold rainwater had been irritatingly giving me mini chills, so finally giving in, I gratefully agreed.

In the 10 minutes that the ride took, we swapped names, and a little bit of info on where we worked and where we lived. Seeing the bus stop in proximity, he stopped and then bade me a good night. I shook his hand with a new found respect for a complete stranger, a warm, genuine admiration for his random act of kindness.

The rest of the trip was a 50 minute-8 km trip in torrential downpour, but I wasn’t bothered. A little humanity from a fellow human being had filled my mind with a resolve that the world had a lot of unseen kindness to give. The best part is, I didn’t even have to find it... it walked up straight to me. Where my close friends had failed to see I needed a small dose of the “feel-good” pill, a stranger had unconsciously injected it in me. That’s the power of a random act of kindness... something that inspires me even today to do the little things... even when they seem they aren’t needed, hoping that I cheer someone else up in the process. In times of peril a little empathy, from anywhere, goes a long way... 

5 comments:



  1. I can't ever reckon sense out of the overall sense of goodness that your articles persevere to a wondrous extent. Might I add, it is nothing I can understand. Maybe it runs like this - you regard people with the goodness you've got and you always find good people, so you believe in acts of random kindness. No wonder, I have a venomous, skeptical eye. Naturally, I dun believe I'd ever come across kind people. :)

    The issue is pretty subjective then, and your demented bits of humor take the cake, mostly. This makes a worthwhile read!

    Cheers!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha :)Good times and good people are never far away. :) And I do not know why you call yourself venomous and skeptical, the fact that you appreciate shallow and light hearted stuff like mine is testimony that you're open to perspectives, which makes you a fantastic knowledge entity. :)

    And well I do know that things happen out of nowhere sometimes. All it takes is a little experience like this to confirm it :)

    ReplyDelete

  3. Yeah, that. I am open to anything with decent grammar, you might not know what it is like to live with people who don't understand G R A M M A R, so well, yes, I like what you write. :DD

    I have had experience too, I have met swines and beautiful aunties out of nowhere, wonderful matter yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You met swines and beautiful Aunties? :P Hahaha that made me laugh :D Well everyone has some goodness, even when their actions suggest otherwise. :)
    And I agree.. grammar can save lives. For example:
    Lets eat, Grandpa.
    Lets eat Grandpa :P

    ReplyDelete


  5. Swines are more likely to be men, and beautiful aunties run on unisex basis. For the latter, you just have to do everything out of your business and swines are natural, I presume.

    Hail Grammar, truly. :P


    ReplyDelete